Friday, May 24, 2013

Wash Lightening!!!!

I am soooo excited!  Today is the start of wash day and I have an extra step to add to my (new) weekly regimen.

I have no problem with my natural hair color (except for those stray grays that keep popping up), but I have always viewed it as kind of bland. It's just dark brown....sometimes it looks medium brown in the summer sun, but most often looks off-black when worn straight and when products are added to my hair (which is almost all the time). 

I've always admired the naturally medium brown color of my sister's hair, which has red and sometimes golden undertones that reveal themselves in the sun. (See pic below....I'm the short one with the almost black hair and despite the dark background, her brown is shining through)


My initial plan when I first started my hair journey was to get highlights 2+ weeks after my last TexLax and couple it with a golden brown rinse several weeks after. However, my hair has not reacted well to my transition to lightly texturized hair and has been too weak for me to consider adding an additional chemical to my hair. 

Luckily, I just happened to come across KSIsooooFLY's blog on naturally lightening your hair. So, taking her advice and coupling it with some other information I found on the Internet, I brought some supplies and added a hair lightening prepoo to my weekly washing/co-washing regimen. Hopefully, my hair will gradually lighten without all the damage caused by permanent hair dyes. 

During my lunch break I brought a spray bottle and I took two chamomile tea bags from the kitchen at my job before leaving for the weekend and this my hair regimen is ready to begin

PREPOO
  1. Boil water
  2. Put chamomile tea bag in one cup of boiling water.  Allow to sit 1 hour.
  3. Squeeze the juice from one lemon in the tea
  4. Mix 1/4 cup of honey into the tea
  5. Mix 1/4 cup of conditioner into the tea
  6. Pour mixture into spray bottle
  7. Saturate hair with mixture
  8. Apply additional honey directly to hair
  9. Spray one additional layer of mixture onto hair.
  10. Cover hair with a shower/conditioning cap for 30 minutes
WASH/CO-WASH
  1. Co-wash or wash hair
  2. Apply deep conditioner
  3. Cover hair with shower/conditioning cap and deep condition hair overnight
  4. Rinse conditioner in the morning
  5. Apply rinse-out conditioner, while in the shower and detangle while in the shower.
  6. Pat dry with towel, then t-shirt dry for 15 minutes
  7. Apply leave-in conditioner
  8. Air dry hair using the scarf method or do a braid/twist-out style.

No comments:

Post a Comment