Friday, October 23, 2015

Wardrobe Updates (and other Periscope musings.....)


If anyone has had an informal chat with me lately, you know that my new social media obsession is Periscope. 
Periscope lets you broadcast live video to the world.  Going live will instantly notify your followers, who can join, comment and send you hearts in real time.

Watching a scope (that’s what they call the individual broadcasts) earlier this morning led me to the topic of wardrobe updates.  @jeimonroe is a fashion curator and was scoping on the 15 Wardrobe Essentials that every female should have in her closet.  Those 15 wardrobe essentials, according to Jei Monroe are:
1.       A denim button-down shirt
2.       A Blazer
3.       A classic black pant
4.       A maxi dress
5.       A little black dress
6.       A denim jacket
7.       A white button-down shirt/blouse
8.       A nude pump
9.       A classic clutch
10.   A trench coat OR pea coat
11.   A pair of great boots (ankle boots with a heel* ……or knee length boot)
12.   A knee-length pencil skirt
13.   A great leather jacket
14.   A pair of dark denim jeans
15.   A pair of classic ankle – strap heels

NOTES:
A – I need this list!  With being pregnant for the past 3 years (kind of) and finally admitting that I’ve gone up a clothing size, I am now committed to purging those pieces of clothing that I can no longer fit and building my wardrobe with basic pieces that I can easily put together at a moment’s notice.

B – I no longer enjoy shopping like I used to.

C – I no longer have the time or the wherewithal to go shopping whenever and wherever I want.

D – I discovered a whole new service from another person on Periscope (@RuthSoukup of LivingWellSpendingLess) that will help me build my wardrobe without having to actually go out and shop.

That service is called Stitch Fix.  Stitch Fix is a personal styling service tailored towards helping busy women on the go discover and explore their personal style without having to spend countless hours at the mall, going from store to store.

How it works:
1)       You sign up for Stitch Fix online and fill out a personal profile, detailing your size, height, body shape and style preferences.
2)       For the cost of $20, a personal stylist will pick out 5 items each month (though you can select any frequency you want….I chose once a quarter) and mail them to your house.
3)       You keep what you want and return what you don’t want. 
a.       If you keep items, the $20 goes towards the total cost.
b.       If you keep all the items, you get a 25% discount on all the items.
4)       You give feedback to the stylist on the items you received, so that your next shipment is even more customized and tailored to your personal style.

My plan with Stitch Fix is that I (mainly) focus on those basic wardrobe essentials that will never go out of style.  With essentials, like a leather jacket, I don’t mind spending retail price because I know I’ll get a lot of use out of it.  I’ve had my current leather jacket since before I got married (so over 6 years) and it is still going strong.  It’s a wardrobe staple that I’ve more than got the $100+ amount I spent out of it.

My first Stitch Fix box comes on November 6th!  I cannot wait and promise to report back on how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment