Thursday, February 6, 2014

REPOST: Setting {Realistic} Goals


A Bowl Full of Lemons

A bowl full of lemons


Setting {Realistic} Goals

Posted: 05 Feb 2014 09:01 PM PST

 

For many of you, you took the New Year to look ahead and to set some goals.  I applaud you. I am a huge fan of setting goals.  I really believe that when you are deliberate with the direction you want to go, you are more likely to change what needs changing!  

FebABFOL1

 

It's been said that if you don't make a plan, set a goal or make a resolution, you are really just wishing for something to happen or change in your life.

So what happens to so many of us within the process of setting goals? We start out strong!  We are pumped, enthusiastic, gung-ho, charged, motivated and ready to go.  We dream big, we set our new standards high and we visualize quick success.  We are excited for the fresh start, the clean slate, the new path, you name it. What we are not is realistic.

If I asked you to list the top goals that people make as New Year Resolutions, what would you guess?

FebABFOL2

Were you surprised by the list? According to the source, 45% of Americans make New Year's Resolutions.  And the percentage of people who successfully achieve their goals is only 8%.

We know that making goals can really make a difference in our lives.  That without goals we won't tend to make the changes we so long to make.  We need to stop and ask ourselves;  "How do we connect the dots between setting a goal and actually reaching a goal?  How do we bridge the gap and truly set realistic, achievable goals?" I want to be in that 8%!!

One way to start is by taking a smarter approach.

FebABFOL3

How does the S.M.A.R.T Approach look in real life?

I'll explain with an example.  Let's say I want to make a goal to "lose weight."  Here is how I would use the S.M.A.R.T Approach to more realistically plan my goal.

Morgan's New Year's Goal – Lose Weight

  • Specific: I want to lose 10 pounds and be within my normal weight range for my age and height.
  • Measurable: I will weekly document my weight loss and share with my accountability partner.
  • Attainable: I will schedule my workouts, plan my meals and make better, healthier choices daily.
  • Realistic: I will be more disciplined and choose to make the tough choices to exercise and eat well.
  • Timely: Short term I want to lose one-two pounds per week, long-term I want to lose all 10 pounds by the end of 12 weeks.

If I had just said that I wanted to lose weight, chances are good that I would have started out strong and then within a few days or weeks would have fallen back into previous habits and patterns.  Without a realistic plan I would just be wishing to lose weight!

When you take a more objective approach to goal setting you will automatically be more realistic.  It is better to start with smaller manageable goals and then as you complete them you can add more to the list.  Some optimism within goal setting is great, but you need to remember to sprinkle in a large dose of reality too!

Make today your "someday."  Choose one small goal, implement the SMART Approach and let reality be your guide.  Like I've said before, it's not about perfection but rather progress!

Share with me, do you set goals?  Are you in the 8%?

MorganWelcomeMy name is Morgan.  I'm the energetic and motivated, but also realistic girl, behind Morganize with Me.  My mission is to share tried and true techniques that I hope will encourage my readers and clients as they focus on their health and homes.  I believe in simplifying, prioritizing, and measuring progress one day at a time.  When I'm not blogging, organizing, or exercising, I can be found cooking a simple dinner or spending time with my sweet family.  My life is full and fun and somewhat messy too.  A motto that I hold near and dear to my heart, is that less IS more.  Unless, of course, there is an opportunity for another Chai Tea Latte or I'm shopping at Target.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment